Thank you to everyone that helped make this possible!
A Playground for All Abilities
Town of Milton Inclusive Playground Project
This is something that I have been striving to accomplish since we launched our community initiative project in July 2014, not only as a foundation, but also as a mom to child with special needs. This whole experience has changed my entire life. It has made me see the world in an entirely different light. Before having Giovanni, I was blind to the challenges that still existed for children with disabilities. I had always assumed that the same opportunities existed for those with disabilities because the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) said that they had to. It wasn't until I started facing challenges with Giovanni that I realized that this wasn't true. Giovanni didn't have the opportunity to play alongside his typically developing peers because the accommodations that he needed to do so did not exist. I know that this playground will not only be an incredible opportunity to children with disabilities, it is also the beginning of change; change that needs to take place to ensure that every child has the opportunity to be just that, a child. No child should be left out!
-Krystyn LaBate, President and CEO
Some of the features include:
- The Whirlin’ Robin rocks side-to-side or front-to-back to promote sensory stimulation and social interaction as children work to rock themselves or others using the built in handholds. The Whirlin' Robin is ADA compliant and allows children to safely and easily transfer from their mobility device.
- Crows nests to provide added comfort for children in mobility devices and create an accessible "lookout post." The crows nest are located throughout the play structure.
- Two Zero-G Chair swings (one for ages 2-5, and one for ages 5-12) allow children who require additional support to swing alongside their friends.
- The Merry-Go-All is a fully accessible, forward-facing inclusive spinning event for up to 12 passengers (4 seated, 8 standing). Merry-Go-All offers abundant grip/grasp areas to hold onto while riding or while pushing others. The center spin wheel remains stationary. This encourages children to engage in social, collaborative play, working together to turn themselves.
- Two two large ground level play areas that will provide a sensory-rich play experience.